6 January 2010

roots in afrika

I am 'made in Afrika' and my roots are in Africa - still. It is part of my soul's make-up and in my marrow and it will be forever. But migrating is part of my history too so this piece is about cultural influences of my new environment: New Zealand. Not so new actually as we've been living here now for more than a decade. There are African elements - the mask, ethnic Zebra patterns and influences of Ndebele art. This is swept up in a wave, or fern frond called a koru - symbol of new beginnings, life and hope. The wave-like symbol is also part of ethnic African art in the form of rolling waves, so it symbolises this coming together of cultures in my life. 255 x 255 x 35mm acrylic on stretched canvas like always.. thanks for having a look ..e^)

No comments:

My Living Channel Ad - on You Tube