9 July 2014

permission to paint

How hard can it be to start a new painting?  Hard, I tell you, when you're all painted out and with nothing more to say.  Then the loyal painter will turn up at the easel, squeeze out, grab a tool and get busy.  Well, that's what I did today, with the added freedom I allowed myself of "no rules, no regulations, no theory, no nothing" just an open palette, an open mind and an open canvas ready to receive with thanks and no complaints.  So today there were no "ugly, mistake, wrong, poor, weak, purposeless" in the vocabulary and slowly on my easel something happened - this totally free, uncomplicated, unplanned, un-overthought and -overworked song started to find a voice. I'd stopped thinking, intuitively scrubbing in colour and just enjoying the freedom I gave myself.  I'm now convinced (anew) that it's all about the process of making, with me just turning up.  That's all that's needed.  Simple.


unfinished, acrylic and graphite on stretched canvas 760mm x 1010mm

2 comments:

Jo Murray said...

'Intuitive' works for me. I often find it's best to lose your'self' when painting.

Erika Husselmann said...

On the head there Jo, wish I could tune out more, but tend to be rather 'controlling' when it comes to painting ;-)

My Living Channel Ad - on You Tube